If you need restorative dentistry in Plymouth Meeting, and you’re interested in implant supported restorations, dental implants, or any other treatment to replace missing teeth, you may be wondering what the best option is for you.
Dentures are built out of resin and other advanced materials, and can replace one or two missing teeth, or an entire arch of upper or lower teeth, based on your needs.
- Performance – Dentures function similarly to normal teeth, but have a tendency to slip, and can sometimes make speech and chewing awkward.
- Hygiene – Dentures must be removed and cleaned before sleeping.
- Appearance – Some dentures can look and function just like natural teeth, such as implant-supported dentures. Other dentures may look “fake” if they are made of low-quality materials.
- Longevity – Dentures often require adjustment (relining), and usually last a maximum of 8 years.
- Comfort – Properly-fitting dentures can be very comfortable, but they can irritate gum tissue if the fit is not right.
- Cost – $300-$500 for a partial denture. Full sets of upper and lower dentures are usually around $3,000 ($1,500 per arch). Usually covered by dental insurance.
- Treatment time – About a month.
Dental bridges use either existing teeth or dental implants to create a “bridge”, filling the gap of a missing tooth with an artificial crown.
- Performance – Similar appearance and function as natural teeth. Usually don’t slip when properly made.
- Hygiene – Care must be taken to clean under and around the bridge, to avoid tooth decay and other complications.
- Appearance – Looks natural, unless closely examined.
- Longevity – Bridges can last 10-20 years, depending on how well they’re cared for.
- Comfort – Bridges are usually comfortable, but sometimes cause sensitivity in surrounding teeth.
- Cost – Bridges typically cost between $1,200 and $1,500. Usually covered by dental insurance.
- Treatment time – About a month.
Dental implants use a two-part “rod” and “crown” to create a permanent artificial tooth and root. While they are expensive, they typically offer the best performance.
- Performance – Feels and functions just like a natural tooth.
- Hygiene – No special care precautions are required, besides brushing and flossing regularly, and seeing Dr. Bower for teeth cleanings and oral exams.
- Appearance – Completely indistinguishable from the surrounding teeth.
- Longevity – Can last 30-50 years or longer.
- Comfort – Dental implants do not cause any kind of discomfort.
- Cost – Between $1,000-$3,000 or more, depending on the tooth and patient. Usually not covered by dental insurance
- Treatment time – Anywhere from 3 months to a year or longer, depending on your oral health and other required surgeries (bone grafts, sinus lifts, etc.)
Want to Know More? Get A Consultation At Fresh Smiles Today!
We offer honest guidance and compassionate care for patients who are looking to replace missing teeth in Plymouth Meeting. If you have questions, we’re here to help. You can schedule a comprehensive, in-depth consultation with Dr. Bower at (484) 531-7410, or stop by our office at 140 W. Germantown Pike, Suite 150, Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462. At your consultation, Dr. Bower will discuss all of your options for restoring missing teeth, and discuss your oral health and budget to help you determine which procedure is right for you.